Thursday, October 18, 2007

Chimney Rock

The day before my mom headed back to Alabama, she, Trev and I went to visit Chimney Rock. We weren't too sure what we were getting ourselves into, but we had been told it was a "must do" activity when in the Asheville area. Chimney Rock kicked our butts!


The hike started with a climb through The Needle's Eye. This is a passage up through these two rock formations. It is very steep, very dark, and very tight (my back pack was scraping the walls on the way up). I was quite proud that my VERY claustrophobic mom made it through!








I had to come up with a way to get a picture of all three of us when we came across this bidge on the path. I worked very hard to set the camera up on a precarious ledge, center the scene, get it in focus and start the timer so that I could run and get myself into the frame before the picture was taken... this is what happens when no one is monitoring Trevor!





After about an hour and a half of walking through the forest (there was a trail), climbing up steep escarpments (there were stairs) and scaling rock faces (there was a fence), we arrived at Chimney Rock. This rock formation stands apart from the rest of the mountains and has spectaular views of the forested mountains as well as Lake Lure below. It was a beautiful way to end a great hike. Oh... we took the elevator down!











No comments: